Maa Laadu is a simple yet delightfully satisfying laddu made out of Pottu Kadalai or Roasted Bengal gram dal flour, sugar, ghee, a touch of cardamom, and a speck of cashews
Click here to read my food story “AMMA”ZING MAA LAADUS
RECIPE FOR MAA LAADU – Makes 15 laddus
- Pottu Kadalai/Bengal Gram Dal – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – about 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 2 tbsps, finely chopped
- Cardomom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Place the pottu kadalai in a heavy-bottomed vessel. On a medium flame, gently roast the dal until it get hot. About 2-3 mins. Turn off the flame.
- When it cools down, transfer to a blender and pulse a few times. Add the sugar and blend until it turns in to a fine powder. Transfer to a large plate
- Heat a tsp of ghee from the quantity mentioned above. Toast the cashews. Add to the ground pottu kadalai + sugar mixture. Add the cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Warm the ghee until it turns in an amber liquid.
- Now take a little mixture to the side of the plate. Drizzle just enough ghee to be able to make laddus. Do not douse the mixture with ghee. Repeat this process until all the dry mixture has been turned into laddus.
- Make sure that the cashew is evenly distributed in the dry mixture. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a lot of cashews in one laddu and none in the other.
- I had 2 tbsps of ghee leftover after making all the laddus.
- Make the laddus when the ghee and dry mixture are warm