SWEET & SAVORY STUFFED DATES
Perfect for entertaining, snack boxes, potlucks, picnics, treks and more, these healthy and tasty bites are made by stuffing mejdool dates with a savory blend of unsweetened almond butter, cucumber, mint and lime.
Level up your health snack game by making these delicious and super simple sweet & savory stuffed dates. The sweetness comes from the dates and the savory stems from a protein rich and refreshing blend made up of almond butter, cucumber, mint and lemon juice. It’s simple to put together. Start with some creamy and unsweetened almond butter, add finely chopped cucumber for texture, mint for freshness and flavor, lemon juice for zing and mix well. Pit the dates, stuff the mixture in the cavity, top with fresh herbs and lemon zest. A healthy finger food whipped up in minutes and that’s wholly suitable for entertaining, potlucks, picnics, treks, snack boxes and really, any other food situation or celebration that you can think of!
Makes : 12 stuffed dates
- Mejdool Dates – 12 nos
- Almond Butter – 2 tbsps
- Finely chopped cucumber – 1 tbsp
- Mint – 2 tsps
- Lemon Juice – 1/2 tsp
- Dill fronds – 12 tufts
- Lemon zest – 12 tiny pinches
- Pit the dates. If they’re already pitted, proceed to step 2. Run a small paring knife along the spine of the date. Insert tip of the knife and coax the seed out of the belly. Run your thumb alongside the opening to widen the mouth to make space for the stuffing.
- Mix together the almond butter, cucumber, mint and lemon juice.
- Stuff the dates using a spoon. If the mixture stays on top without sliding into the cavity, gently push it in using your fingers or the backside of the spoon. You could also transfer the mixture into a piping bag and squeeze the filling into the opening
- Sprinkle with dill fronds and lemon zest. Serve!
- It’s important to use unsweetened almond butter because otherwise the dish will end up being too sweet
- I’ve garnished with dill fronds because cucumbers and dill are a match made in heaven. But you could use fresh herb of choice. You could simply use more mint.
- You could also use orange juice and orange zest instead of lemon juice and lemon zest.
- This mixture was sufficient for 12 small dates. If your date size is bigger, then you might need more mixture. Please adjust accordingly.